Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

I Want To Know If I Could Get Help Getting Sole Custody Of My 2 Grandkids?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: May 28, 2021

Q: My daughter was brutally murdered in Boston May 1 by her husband, he stabbed her to death , leaving behind 2 kids my grandkids ages 7/8 a little girl and boy . I’m now trying to get sole custody of them but I don’t know how to go about this. I already filled out the custody application and was told the judge Expedited the application case. I need help!

A: Preliminarily, I’m sorry to hear of your loss. Did the children previously reside in New York? If so, then you should be able to file a Custody Petition with the Family Court in the county where they previously resided (even if they’re temporarily with you – assuming the Father’s in jail). If the children previously resided in Boston but have only recently come to live with you, then the case may need to be filed in Boston (until they’ve been in NY more than 6 months). Nevertheless, I’d recommend that you schedule a consultation with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080