Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

If you would like to speak with a lawyer, contact the Law Offices of David Bliven. We provide initial case assessments and can set up full case strategy consultation as needed. To get in touch, call us at (347) 797-1188 or (914) 362-3080 or reach us online.

Dedicated To Family Law Concerns

Our firm concentrates our practice on a comprehensive range of Divorce & Family Law concerns, including:

  • Divorce (uncontested & contested), which includes Separation Agreements, Prenuptial Agreements and Post-nuptial Agreements.
  • Asset divisionThe equitable division of property and other assets is a difficult undertaking, especially when a couple has accumulated significant wealth. We facilitate accurate appraisal and discovery, and ensure that spouses receive their fair due.
  • Alimony and maintenance — In New York, judges have a great deal of authority when deciding support payments. It is crucial that you are able to convey what you need to maintain your standard of living.
  • Child custody, child visitation and child support — Children are the priority in any divorce matter. Ensuring they receive the proper care and support is essential. We work rigorously to make certain their emotional and financial needs are met.
  • Domestic abuse (Orders of Protection) — Charges of household violence must be taken seriously. Victims need immediate and ongoing protection. Those who find themselves accused require adamant legal representation. We know the severity of such charges and inform our clients of their options.
  • Juvenile Delinquency, which encompasses juveniles charged with criminal conduct who have their cases heard in Family Court. Beginning in 2018-2019, this will comprise nearly all such cases filed against youth under the age of 18.
  • Child Abuse & Child Neglect, which entails defense against such charges in Family Court. Mr. Bliven’s background as a former child welfare prosecutor gives him unique experience in this area. He also handles foster care proceedings, fair hearings, independent reviews and termination of parental rights cases.
  • Adoptions, which usually involves step-parent adoptions in the non-child welfare context.

In all matters, we strive for resolution. Yet if no agreement can be reached through negotiation or mediation, we will thoroughly prepare for trial. We tailor our representation to meet the needs of your case.

As seen In New York & Westchester Magazines

Top Attorneys
Honored as a “Super Lawyer” for the New York Metro & Westchester area by Westchester Magazine, October, 2019: Westchester Magazine
20 Years
As seen in New York Magazine’s 2019 “New York Leaders in the Law”

Our Services

In many ways, family law is the most intimate field of law. It deals with the some of the most personal things in life: marriage, divorce, children, and money. What’s more, those seeking guidance in Family Court cases are often doing so during a period of extreme turmoil, emotional difficulty, and uncertainty in their lives.

With so much vulnerability and upheaval involved, and such high-stakes decisions on the line, it is essential for anyone facing a family law case to find the right family attorney—whether it be for divorce or custody or child support or domestic abuse.

Who is Attorney David Bliven?

Attorney David Bliven is a family lawyer practicing in the Bronx and White Plains, NY. As a former prosecutor with the NYC Administration for Children’s Services, Attorney Bliven is among a small percentage of family lawyers with both state prosecutorial and private practitioner experience. He uses the things he learned as a prosecutor to inform his courtroom strategy to this day.

In 2000, Attorney Bliven opened his own family law practice, The Law Offices of David Bliven. Together with a talented, hardworking team of paralegals and support staff, Attorney Bliven has been serving the Bronx and White Plains, NY as a family law attorney for over two decades. From the outset, he has stuck to one central mission: providing high-quality, personalized legal services at affordable prices.

Domestic Violence and Family Offenses: Attorney David Bliven also offers a full range of services to survivors of domestic abuse.

In a family law context, domestic violence doesn’t exclusively refer to violence between married spouses, or even between people in romantic and/or sexual relationships. It can also refer to violence between family members or violence between roommates. It also doesn’t exclusively refer to physical violence: rather, it refers to a wide range of behaviors, including threats/intimidation, harassment, and coercion in addition to physical violence, sexual assault, and theft.

Informed by his experience as a prosecutor, Attorney David Bliven knows what it takes to keep his clients safe and seek justice on their behalf. To this end, he offers comprehensive representation to domestic abuse survivors, as well as defense services for juvenile offenders and those who claim they have been falsely accused of family crimes (such as domestic violence or child abuse). In addition, he also handles:

  • Orders of Protection (“restraining orders”)
  • Child abuse and neglect cases
  • Victim services and domestic violence survivor coordination
  • Domestic abuse and custody
  • Domestic abuse and divorce
  • Juvenile delinquency and juvenile offense cases

If you are looking for a highly skilled divorce or family law attorney in the Bronx or White Plains, New York, don’t wait. Call family law attorney David Bliven at Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation! today.

New York Family Law Blog


Frequently Asked Questions

My sister in law recently broke up with the father of her child. This “man” is not only a drug dealer but a user as well. He has never had a real job or a place to live other than his parents house, but his parents got him a high priced lawyer to try to get full custody of their child. My sister in law on the other hand is a school teacher and a positive member of society. On her salary she is paying for a place to live, daycare and all other expenses that her child and her incur. On a teachers salary there isn’t enough left over to hire a good lawyer. She is working with financial aid to get a lawyer, but it is taking forever and I am afraid this lawyer will have to much on their plate to give my sister in law’s case the time it deserves. Would love any and all info you can give me. Thank you

A: There are extremely few attorneys willing to do “pro bono” work in the matrimonial field. Thus, her best bet is to shop around & ask lawyers if they do a “sliding scale” on their fees – some do, some don’t. Thus, she should call a Westchester Child Custody attorney to schedule a consult.

I am divorced from my wife. We have 2 kids, ages 7 and 8. Over my objection, she wants to relocate with them to Portland, OR. in “no way, shape or form”, is it in their “best interests”, to do so. The kids’ court-appointed attorney has already interviewed them about the move and they were unsure about it. The judge scheduled a trial, which will help he make a determination one way or another. Prior to the trial, this attorney wants to interview them YET AGAIN, and if the kids now want to go, he’ll approve the move! I don’t want him to interview the kids any more. I’ve never been abusive towards them, they love me very much, the mother has not fully cooperated with all the court orders involving visitation over the last 6 years. The 3,000 mile distance is insurmountable. For all intents and purposes, any orders, e.g., nightly telephone calls, religious upbringing, visitation set forth by a NY court will thereby by unenforceable. This attorney is just hoping to wear my kids down.

A: It is reasonable for an attorney representing children to interview them numerous times during the course of his/her representation. Of course, this depends on the length of time the case lasts, as well as the age of the child. As you presumably have an attorney representing you, if you’re looking for a 2d opinion, call a Westchester Child Custody attorney to schedule a consult.

Hi during my marriage I had an affair which lead to a baby.. I was aware who the dad was but was afraid to tell my husband now everything is out.. and all of us know who’s the real dad.. is it necessary for the courts to do a DNA.. we have proof ..evidence and we did our own DNA.. my husband is signing off his rights because he know he’s not the Dad.. and the biological dad wants he’s rights we have our next court day in 2 weeks.. I hope this is our last one we been going to court since march… ..

A: If the child was born during the marriage, then the court must hold a hearing to overcome the “presumption of legitimacy.” The Court may even need to assign an attorney to represent the child. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Adoptions attorney for a full assessment.

I have a daughter with my ex. She is currently 8 years old. I received a final order of custody in this year August. I have sole physical and legal custody and my ex gets every other weekend Saturday morning to Sunday evening. Plus holidays are split between us alternating years for day visits. In the order it also says that I cannot relocate outside of the greater New York city area. My husband is about to join the military and he is thinking of doing active duty marines. Which means that after he finishes basic training and tech school he will be stationed on a base out of state. If I want to move with him to live on base in another state, will I be able to bring my daughter with me and get my court order modify so that I can move out of state. The base could be located in either California, Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona or Virginia. How do court orders work when you are married to someone in the military but have a child with your ex? How does family court handle situations like this? I already know my ex will not agree to allow the move. I don’t want to stay behind from my husband for 4 years but I dont want to leave my daughter with my ex since he cannot support her.

A: You cannot automatically move, merely because you have sole custody. You’d need either the Father’s express permission, or you’d need to file a custody relocation case in Family Court. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

Going through a divorce in NYS, talking with my friend of 15 years about my Ex (no threats or specifics about the divorce) just about my feelings regarding him and his mistress. My friends husband works for my Ex, as does my Ex’s mistress. Can my friend record our talks without my consent and then give them to my Ex to use against me in court? My friend knew about the mistress from other sources. Our case is only financial there are no children and I filed on irreconcilable differences not infidelity.

A: Yes – it is only illegal wiretapping in NY if one is recording a conversation one is not a party to. How useful it would really be if finances are the only issue is debatable. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Divorce attorney for more info.

I need it in paper work.

A: You may file a custody petition in the Family Court. Be sure to have a good address where you can serve the other parent. Call a Bronx Family Law attorney for more info.

I’m disabled and I only get $525 from SSD child support is taking $277 of that I can’t even pay my rent I don’t get food stamps so how am I supposed to eat please help me I no longer live in New Jersey I live in New York now don’t have enough money to travel back to New Jersey to go to court don’t know what to do please help.

A: So are you discussing a NY order, or a NJ order? Assuming it’s a NY order, you’d need to file a modification petition & a Petition to Adjust Arrears. For the Court to limit arrears to $500 in any given year, you’d need to be able to prove to the satisfaction of the Court that your income was below the poverty line, and it was thru no fault of yours. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info.

I’m paying my back support but I can’t get a metro to work and rent and food off 13.00 after they take out . What can I do?

A: If there is a money judgment in place for child support arrears, then generally SCU (or the support recipient via counsel) may execute a seizure of assets in a bank account. There are certain exceptions to this, however, so you may wish to have the matter review by an attorney. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney to schedule a consult.

Custody/visitation – Filed motion significant change in circumstances Father recovering heroin addict. Three and half years sober – employed with same company for 3 years. Modification originally heard 3/ 2015 over two years ago. Both parties represented by attorneys. attorney fo child interviewed son at age 7 – said he wanted to see father. Father sending monthly gifts to son. No acknowledgement from mother. Paid out $ 19000 to attorney. Pages and pages of treatment records – opposing attorney not satisfied with records. Both parties now pro se. Second attorney for child spoke with child at age 9 does not want to see father and wants step father’s last name. Judge asked father how he wants to proceed. Taken by surprise. Attorney for child will continue to obtain more records. Can judge order no contact with father? forced to give up son for adoption? Attorney and judge treat father as if he is an active addict . Father feels discriminated against. Treatment records release given to attorney for child. mother wants records thinks dad is hiding something. Father had been on methadone tapered off 2 years ago and completed level one outpatient counseling program.

A: First, you should have an attorney representing you – if you cannot afford an attorney, ask the Judge to assign you one. Second, while a Judge cannot terminate your parental rights or “force an adoption” under such circumstances, a Judge does have the discretion to enter an order of no visits or an order of therapeutic supervised visits. Schedule a consultation with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

Click to activate map
Click to activate map