Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

What is needed to file for divorce in New York?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: November 12, 2022

Q: A year ago, I gave an attorney money for divorce. The divorce has not been filed yet. I completed what he asked of me. He has trouble contacting my husband’s attorney. He said it will take another year. Is this normal?

A: That doesn’t sound correct to me. The usual procedure is that a case is filed, summons & complaint served on opposing party (or their attorney), Answer is filed, settlement negotiations commenced, then if case cant be settle, contested case filed for. The contested case generally should be filed 4 months after the opposing party was served – unless the party’s have settled or are very close to settling. For a 2d opinion, schedule a consult with a White Plains divorce attorney.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080