Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

My husband’s ex just served him for child support. Child is 18 years old and will be going to college in late August.

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: July 8, 2023

Q: *We live in NY* They never went to court or have had a court order for anything. Child was mainly with us until covid. Then she started staying home more. He has always given the mom money (with receipts), has always been responsible for medical and has always bought and put money in child’s account (he got her a debit card). Child just turned 18 and 5 Days later mother files for child support. Is there anything that can be done being that the child (18 yr old) will be at school and going back and forth from our house to the mom’s house?

A: The question is: is there a prior court order granting the mother physical custody? If yes, it may be hard to change that now. Additionally, if there’s a dispute as to who the child will live primarily with (while on breaks from college), you may need to subpoena the child as a witness in the case. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080