Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

My friend had a baby with me, gave me said child, i even have full custody, can she do that?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: February 11, 2022

Q: I cant have kids. My friend became pregnant and was going to get an abortion due to just having a baby, so I asked would she keep it for me due to my fertility problems, she stated yes a few weeks later (we lived together so it was perfect), she had him on Feb 19, 2019 spend almost a month in the NICU (came home march 4, 2019) spent maybe a week with her to breastfeed, than maybe March 11, 2019 he has been in my care, we moved out of her house April 14, 2019 and he is still with me. Can she do that?

A: Yes – if the child’s biologically yours, then the two of you have arranged for informal custody. That said, you should consider formalizing the arrangement by filing a petition for custody with the Family Court. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080