Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How can I terminate parental rights in NYC?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: February 11, 2022

Q: I have a visitation trial coming up but my partner wants to adopt my daughter. My daughter’s dad has not paid child support since 2019 and I have a 5 year order of protection. His psychological evaluation said it would not be good for him to be with a child base on his personality disorder and substance abuse, he also has not comply with the judger orders and has a criminal trial for breaking the order of protection. I want to know if I can petition to terminate his parental rights for my partner to adopt her.

A: You can bring an adoption proceeding – this would result in effectively terminating his parental rights. Bear in mind, however, that nonpayment of support and/or having an order of protection would not be grounds (in themselves) to have the adoption approved – the Judge would need to find he legally abandoned the child. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080