Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

In NY Family Court, Can I Serve My Declaration And Exhibits Without Using A Process Server? I Am The Respondent.

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: June 25, 2021

Q: I am pro se, as is my ex-wife who filed a child support petition. We have the fact-finding hearing scheduled for next week. I want to submit to the court a written declaration and exhibits.
Can I serve my ex-wife? ? Or do I need to use a third party? Do I need to have the certificate or affidavit of service notarized?

A: I’m unclear by what you mean by “declaration,” but if you mean “affidavit,” then that’s generally inadmissible – unless the Magistrate directed otherwise. That said, items to be served (such as exhibits) after a case has been filed do not necessarily need to be served in any fashion other than e-mail (especially if the other side consents – which should be confirmed). New pleadings are a different story. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080