Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

I just became a volunteer fire fighter, do I have to pay child support from the stipend I make?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: January 18, 2022

Q: I have a pre-existing support order. I have a full time job and child support is garnished from my check. I just became a volunteer firefighter and now my ex wants to take me to court for more child support. I earn a stipend for volunteering and depending how many calls I respond to, I get a monthly stipend. Sometimes I don’t make any calls because of work.

Can I be forced to pay more child support due to the stipend I make from volunteering?

A: If it’s been more than 3 years since support was set (or last modified) and/or your income (with the stipend) increased more than 15%, then she can most likely get an increase (unless your divorce agreement says otherwise). And yes: a stipend would generally be a form of income. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080