High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Is there a formal process to file a complaint against a family court referee?

Q: I would like to file a formal complaint against a family court referee. How do these complaints get reviewed? Would the referee be aware of who file the complaint?

I think the fear of retribution is what deters some people from filing complaints against referees who don’t serve the people as well as they should.

A: David’s Answer: Beyond writing to the Supervising Judge of the courthouse, you can also file a complaint with the Commission on Judicial Conduct. And since it’s the Office of Court Administration who appoints the Referees, consider filing a complaint letter with that agency. That said, unless his/her conduct was really “over-the’top,” don’t expect it to get you anywhere. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network