Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How do I get a divorce from my husband?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: August 18, 2023

Q: My husband and I have lived apart since we got married. He lives in MD and I live in NY. He provides no monetary support, conversely, I have shelled out thousands of dollars over the course of the marriage. I haven’t seen him physically since May 2022 when he visited for his birthday. We do not have conjugal relations, frankly, the marriage was NEVER consummated. I am being emotionally and financially abused and I want this marriage terminated. I am afraid that if I say to him that I want a divorce he may become violent towards me. He has NEVER raised a hand to me but he has been verbally and emotionally abusive. I am in the process of legalizing his status in the United States, so he will never willingly sign a divorce agreement. Do I have grounds for divorce or even an annulment?

A: Under NY law, the only grounds you need to satisfy are “irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.” This is a subjective assessment – thus, if you do not wish to be married any longer, then you may proceed to file for divorce on those grounds. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Divorce Attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080