Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Do I Have To Pay Counsel Fees On Family Court In A Different County If The Case Was Closed?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: May 17, 2017

Q: Family court case in the Bronx ran from March’16 to Dec’16 Divorce commenced Jul’16 to present. Can the more monied spouse be forced to pay family court counsel fees in Westchester Supreme Court at finalization of divorce?

A: David’s Answer: Generally no – there is no provision for the Divorce Court to include an award of counsel fees as accrued in the Family Court case. Nevertheless, an arguable exception is if the Family Court matter is consolidated into the divorce action – one may thus include the accrued Family Court fees in the overall counsel fee award as a factor for the Court to consider. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080