Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Divorce Filed But Husband Doesn’t Want To Divorce. How Can This Affect Me If I Want To Remarry?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: August 8, 2016

Q: I filed divorce but my husband doesn’t want to divorce (Muslim Family Law). My marriage contract doesn’t include permission for me to divorce my husband. That’s why I have to file a case and it might take unto 2 years to settle. In current situation, how can I remarry? The marriage was conducted in Bangladesh (Muslim Family Law).

A: David’s Answer: In short, you cannot re-marry until you get divorced first. As such, you’ll need to pursue your divorce case & if he contests grounds, you may need to have the Court conduct a grounds trial (which should be an easy trial if you filed under no fault grounds). Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce attorney for a full assessment. — David Bliven, Bronx Divorce attorney (

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080