Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can parental rights be terminated if a parent hasn’t financially provided or been a present figure in a child’s life for 10 yrs?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: March 15, 2022

Q: I’ve never married and have been the sole parental figure in my children’s life for 10+ yrs ( I am the sole financial & emotional provider,), their father has no communication or provides child support, sadly has no relationship with the children. He doesn’t respond to agree on travel consent form, to at least take a vacation…

A: Under NYS law, there’s no way to terminate a parent’s rights outside of the context of an adoption proceeding. As such, if you’re looking to do so, then file the adoption. Otherwise, to travel internationally without his consent you’ll need a court order of sole custody. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080