Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Do I have to fight a request for child support reinstatement in New Jersey, with an attorney in NJ, if I live in New York?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: March 15, 2022

Q: Can an ex-wife throw your daughter out of her house into the streets and still be entitled to child support? Basically I live in the Bronx, and the x-wife lives in New Jersey and she has gotten a lawyer in Jersey who put me on notice of their intent. Will I need a lawyer in NJ to go represent me?

A: Question: was the original child support done in NY or NJ? If the latter, then you’d need to consult a NJ attorney on the question. If done in NY, however, then the answer is “maybe,” depending in part on the age of the child, whether she may be deemed emancipated and/or whether she moves in with you. If the case is in NY, then call a Bronx Child Support attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080