Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can I get my money back from NYS child support after paying for almost a year after my child turned 21?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: March 15, 2022

Q: I have two daughters. One is 21 and will be 22 this May. My court date for modification is in April 2022. I’m still paying child support for her. Because of the pandemic, virtual court has been set up, but the court system is so back logged this is why I’m still paying child support. The other daughter will be 21 this November. She attends college. Will I have to continue paying child support after she turns 22? Will child support automatically end afterwards or will I have to go back to court to have it stopped?

A: Child support should automatically end when the child turns 21, assuming it’s being garnished by SCU. You wouldn’t necessarily get a credit against future support for overpayments as the relief you get on your current petition is only retroactive to the date you filed. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080