High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can you file for child support while living in the same house and are not legally married but share a child together?

Q: Living with sons father until I can get my own place however his not supporting any needs of the 2years old .We have lived together in Bronx NY for more than 3 years and are not legally married .He signed the birth certificate . I was told that we have to get a paternity test first and then I have to be living elsewhere in order to file .I just want to do it the painless way possible.

A: You can file the paternity petition now – and then if while the case is pending you physically separate from him, you can proceed on your support case. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network