High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can my partner fight me for custody and win?

Q: I want to separate from my partner, we aren’t marry but both of our names are on the birth certificate. I obviously want to take my baby. He said that he wouldn’t let me do that but I’m honestly a better fit to raise the baby alone. What would happen? What are the steps? If i fight him in court what are the chances I’ll win? 

A: There are numerous factors involved in a custody determination – I invite you to review my Legal Guide here: https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-factors-are-considered-for-child-custody-. The steps are that you’d need to file a child custody petition with the family Court in the county you reside in. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family law attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge