High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can my wife file a protective order in New York when if shes only been there a few weeks and her and my son lived here in Ok.

Q: I need a lawyer to argue that a protective order put against me is wrong because New York does not have jurisdiction over me or my case I live in Oklahoma city and it is keeping me from keeping my son in the u.s. the case is in the bronx and I can’t make it there to do it myself it even says I can not seek custody even though he is a resident or Oklahoma.

A: It depends on the nature of the “domestic violence” act alleged. If it was a phone call or e-mail, and it was made or sent to her while she was residing in NY, then NY arguably has jurisdiction. If not, then you have a good shot. Schedule a phone consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge