Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Is There A Formal Process To File A Complaint Against A Family Court Referee?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: February 24, 2017

Q: I would like to file a formal complaint against a family court referee. How do these complaints get reviewed? Would the referee be aware of who file the complaint?

I think the fear of retribution is what deters some people from filing complaints against referees who don’t serve the people as well as they should.

A: David’s Answer: Beyond writing to the Supervising Judge of the courthouse, you can also file a complaint with the Commission on Judicial Conduct. And since it’s the Office of Court Administration who appoints the Referees, consider filing a complaint letter with that agency. That said, unless his/her conduct was really “over-the’top,” don’t expect it to get you anywhere. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080