Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How can I limit overspending from my spouse as I already filled for a divorce summons?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: October 16, 2021

Q: My lawyer submitted the Action for Divorce Summons mid June 2021. We still have a joint bank account and my spouse has her own account for her LLC. Since our separation my spouse spend twice more money as I do. Our expenses are higher than our income. While the summons for divorce has been filed, is there a way I can stop her overspending from our joint bank account? Can I block her access to our joint bank account? Can I set up a budget? Can explain the “stop the clock” process?

A: Due to the automatic orders, you cannot change the character of the joint account without her express permission. But you can generally do 2 things: (1) you can stop your direct deposit from going into that account & (2) discuss with your wife whether she agrees to simply split up the account. Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce Attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080