Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Do i need a lawyer?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: May 13, 2022

Q: seemingly simple question. my ex is flagrantly making it difficult for me to see my child on their birthday. Any judge would literally say ‘WTF?’
If i can manage the paperwork with a self help web site, is it financially worth spending several thousand dollars to get a judge to give me 50/50 access on the birthday? and realistically, could i recover legal fees if I hired a lawyer? i heard judges really stay away from that.

A: It depends on a number of factors, such as the age of the child, the history of the case, as well as whether the child’s birthday falls on a weekday when the child’s in school. Additionally, counsel fees are usually only awarded in a case like that if the ex is willfully violating a court order, or if there’s a great disparity of income. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080