Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Will my Grandson be able to receive retroactive child support From October 2020?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: May 13, 2022

Q: My son got divorced from his first wife when his son was two and remarried. He was recent!y paying over $1,000 a month by court ordered child support
My Grandson was being raised by his mom unfortunately, his mom became mentally unstable and my son was given temporary custody in July. On October 2020 My Grandson ended up living with me because his step mom doesn’t want him at their home. He has been living with my husband and I disabled senior citizens Since then my son has given only three payments 80, 300, and 400, Dollars. We have been using our savings and credit cards to keep up with the new expenses I have recently applied for legal guardianship. Is my son responsible to pay my grandson who is doing without as far back as October minus the $780.00?
His son has ADHD and ODD. I don’t think I need to apply for public assistance for him because My son is responsible for at least his financial support. He is 13 years old and with should be able to eat, dress, and to out to movies and such with his friends.

A: Child support is generally only awarded retroactive to the date you filed for child support. As such, in conjunction with your guardianship petition, you should also file a child support petition as soon as possible. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080