Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can I get emergency custody of my niece ?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: October 20, 2021

Q: My sister and her baby father are both unfit for a child. They both do a bunch of drugs and alcohol. I live in Sc and my soon to be born niece is in NY. Is there any way I got get emergency custody of my niece until she becomes a fit parent again? My sister can’t take her and my mother is disabled. I’m the only able person who can. I receive FS for my son. I can also get a job to support my niece and my fiancé has a stable job. She is unfit and I’m the only person who can take care my a child(ren)


A:If the parents aren’t consenting to you having custody, then the burden will be on you to prove they have a drug/alcohol addiction which poses a risk of harm to the child. Depending on the severity of the situation, you may consider getting CPS involved. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080