Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can My Grandparents Visit In Addition To Me?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: April 5, 2022

A: Sometimes custodial parents agree to visits for the non-custodial parent, but then say s/he can’t have their parents (child’s grandparents) present for the visits. What to do?

1. File a Grandparent Visitation Petition

You can have your parents file a grandparent visitation petition with the Family Court. Generally Family Court will grant grandparents a visit either each month or every other month. If the custodial parent is denying grandparents access – and they live relatively far away from the non-custodial parent, then this may be considered as an option.

2. Document the Denial of Access

Have your parents attempt to resolve the access issue before filing with the petition. Have them write a letter or e-mail to the custodial parent and state how they have previously had a good relationship with their child (providing details of same) & that they wish to continue. Have them ask the custodial parent to provide any reasons why the access is being denied. Ultimately, the Court needs to rule that “equity sees fit to intervene,” and that’s why it’s important to document the formerly good relationship and the lack of a good reason why access is now being denied.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080