Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can my spouse hire an attorney after the 40th day of defaulting and not responding to my divorce summons in NY state?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: December 22, 2021

Q: I filed for divorce. My spouse did not answer and is in default. I filed my Order to Show Cause with the court. We have 2 kids… there is a current order of protection against him protecting the 3 of us. There is no property or assets to divide. I am not asking for spousal maintenance, only full custody and child support. I am not asking for any debts to be split. I just want to be done with him.

Can you hire an attorney after the 40th day and after I file my Order to Show Cause asking the court to grant me a default judgment? Did he miss his opportunity to fight the case or can he indeed hire an attorney now and contest me?

A: The short answer is yes – the courts generally do allow defaults to be vacated. This is all the more so if the Judgment wasn’t even issued yet. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Divorce Attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080