Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can my child support case be transferred to Florida?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: October 17, 2022

Q: The Child support case was opened in NY many years ago. About 8 years ago, the custodial parent moved with the child to Florida. I am still paying NY child support. The child is about to be 17. I know Florida child support is only until 18 years old. Is there a way to transfer my case from NY to Florida? I am trying to avoid paying child support until 21.

A: Generally once a particular state issues a child support order, that issuing state retains ‘continuing & exclusive jurisdiction” over modifications or enforcement. This is the rule unless: (a) both parents move out of the original issuing state, or (b) custodial parent consents to the support being moved to the new state. For a full assessment, please schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support Attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080