Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can I move out of state due to job relocation?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: October 28, 2021

Q: I am now separated from my abusive husband and have sole legal custody. And a full restraining order. My daughter was to have visitation with her father twice a month which he has continued to miss his visits and within the last couple of months my daughter refuses to go see him. Due to his constant verbal abuse about me to her and she says he’s just a mean daddy. Every time it’s time for her to go see him she cries. I went to the court and asked do I have to force her to go see him and they told me no. Now I have a job offer in another state that pays more money and I would like to take.

A: You should not relocate the residence of the child without either express permission from the other parent, or a Judge’s permission. If you anticipate he’s not going to consent, then my recommendation is to file a Custody Modification petition which requests permission to relocate as well as to modify the access schedule. Call a Bronx Family Law attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080