Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can I get a court order in the US to see my child?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: December 2, 2021

Q: My ex girlfriend and I had a child in Jamaica. We separated in 2015 when our child was four years old. I have a court order for joint custody of our child in Jamaica. However, my ex girlfriend left Jamaica with our child and migrated to the United States in 2015. Since that time, I have spoken to our child three times. Today I spoke to my daughter for 10 mins ( 11/23). I will be traveling to the US and getting married to my fiancé soon and would like to know is there any way in which I can get a court order to see my child when I get there.

A: Generally you’d need to litigate custody/visitation enforcement cases with the court which issued the original decree. Bear in mind if you seek to file an enforcement case in NY, then you may cede jurisdiction to NY over any future modification/enforcement cases. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080