Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can Family or Supreme Court order that I pay more than stipulated (and So Ordered) for college or extracurricular activities?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: December 30, 2022

Q: When my ex and I settled our divorce which was So Ordered, we agreed that I would be responsible for half our child’s college tuition with a SUNY Cap. We also agreed that I would pay for extracurricular activities with an annual cap. My ex wants the Family or Supreme Court to increase the my originally So Ordered college tuition and extracurricular activity contributions claiming that now my daughter suddenly has a learning disability (even though she gets mostly As, and there is no documented learning disability) and that I am not paying enough for my daughter’s activities (I pay my So Ordered amount for my daughter’s horseback riding lessons – which are very expensive and my ex wants my daughter to pursue. My daughter is not a state or nationally-ranked equestrian). Can the State order me to pay more than what was originally So Ordered for college and extracurricular activities?

A: It depends largely on whether you did a “stipulation of settlement” (a/k/a “settlement agreement”) as part of your divorce action. If you did, then (unless the agreeable states that provision is modifiable) generally the Family Court cannot modify such an agreement. The modification statute (support is generally modifiable once every 3 years or if there’s been a 15% change of income) addresses basic support, not add-ons (as a general proposition). Schedule a consultation with a White Plains Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080