Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How Can I Get A Cola On Child Support That Was Stipulated In The Divorce 6 Years Ago? I Get Denied Each Time I Try

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: August 22, 2018

Q: Child support amount was stipulated in divorce. He does not pay 17% as per NY law. I’ve tried having it modified but I get denied each time. There is a big difference between our salaries, his is much greater. I feel I get denied because he has a lawyer, that related with law jargon in the court. Although I can’t afford a lawyer I research and prepare but I’m still denied. Desperately seeking help

A: Unless your order is paid via SCU, you wouldn’t generally be filing a petition for a “COLA,” but instead you’d simply file an upward modification petition. The mere fact that there’s a big difference in your incomes wouldn’t mean you get an increase in support – he’d generally need to have had a substantial increase in his income in order for the court to give you the increase. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment…

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080