Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Does Cola Apply To Out Of State Child Support Order In New York?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: October 23, 2016

Q: My ex-spouse and I got divorced in Florida where a support order has been issued. I ( the non-custodial parent paying child support) moved to New York.

The other party filed a motion with the state of NY where I have been ordered to pay more money since September 2012.

Since the original court order is from Florida, does the COLA (the Cost Adjustment) apply because all NY is doing is to enforce the order?


A: David’s Answer: If Florida issued the order and the mother & child remained living in Florida, then only Florida was supposed to have modified/enforced the order. That being said, if you had a valid jurisdictional objection to make back in 2012 & didn’t make it, most likely it’s too late now. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Support attorney for a full assessment. – David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney (

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080