Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

What Is The Proper Way To Be Served A Child Support Modification Petition If It’s Done By Certified Mail?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: November 29, 2016

Q: I am out of the country on vacation until July 27th. My son’s father has known this for a long time, especially because it was a court-approved vacation AND I emailed him the exact dates over a month ago. Our hearing in Bronx Family Court is on August 2nd, but I won’t be back in NY until July 27th. My ex claims that I don’t have to actually receive the papers 8 days before the court date. He claims that as long as he mails it at least 8 days prior to the court date, that service is complete? Is this true? What is proper service by mail? Thanks!

A: David’s Answer: No, even on a modification petition (unless the Court approves otherwise), the Father would still need to serve you personally. Moreover, even if he sent the papers to your address, you wouldn’t have signed for them if you weren’t there anyway – thus he cannot prove “actual receipt.” Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080