Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

The judgement for my uncontested divorce was served on my ex-spouse by certified mail but it’s now being returned.

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: November 6, 2021

Q: She was not home to receive the judgement so it was brought to the post office for pickup. I sent my ex the tracking number so it could be picked up, reminded her a few times to go get it, but she never followed through. Now it’s being “returned to sender”. Do I need to make another attempt to mail it, or is the “return to sender” notice, along with the “affidavit of service” enough?

*To clarify, my ex-spouse recently moved out of state. When the judgement was signed, she was still in NY. During the time it was being filed with the clerk, my ex moved away.

Thanks so much for your help!

A: Unless the Judge ordered otherwise, you’re obligated to mail her a copy of the final Judgment along with notice of entry. There’s otherwise no obligation to send it certified mail – same is advisable (but not otherwise required) if the other side has defaulted. Schedule a consult with a NYC Divorce Attorney for more info.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080