Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

In White Plains Family Court Is A Decree Only For The Non-custodial Parent To Obey?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: December 8, 2020

Q: Hello, Thank you in advance for your assistance. Our decree states we are both obligated to $750 per child per year for extracurricular activities and we both need to agree on activity, we have 2 boys.

2019 – We agreed to karate and I signed the contract for 12 monthly payments -I paid for both children and spent $4,200 -her half was $1,500 ($750×2) which I filed a petition as she refused to pay. Ex-wife even added her email with Karate office as a recipient and received monthly receipts I was paying.

Ex-wife enrolled one child into dance which we didn’t agree but she enrolled him anyway. She claims she spent $4,000. Our 2nd child she spent $0 for 2019.

White Plains Family Court- ruled in her favor, dismissed and denied my petition and said because she contributed money towards the other activity already.

In White Plains – Is a decree only for the non-custodial parent to obey?
Is it known for the Family Court Support Magistrates to be prejudice?

A: Both parents need to abide by the support order regarding add-ons. That said, if she paid more than $750 per child for the other activity, then the magistrate appears correct. If you disagree to her enrolling the child(ren) into an activity, you must capture that with a specific, written objection to same. otherwise the magistrate may find your silence on the issue to be tacit acceptance. For a full assessment, schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Support attorney.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080