Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How Long Am I Financially Responsible For 18 Year Old With Their Own Child?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: September 12, 2016

Q: I have an 18 year old daughter that will be 19 in one month. She has a child of her own and expecting another child in less than 2 months. By law how long am I expected to support her financially? If she seeks assistance from social services someone said they can come after me for child support? They said I am only responsible for my child not grandchildren. HOW is that possible…to have her living with me supporting her obviously includes her children living with me which means I am financially responsible for them as well?

A: David’s Answer: If you’re supporting her, then there should be no need for her to apply for public assistance. Instead, she should be encouraged to force the father of her child to pay child support. That said, so long as she is not fully self-supporting, you must support her until she’s 21 (unless sooner emancipated otherwise). Schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Child Support attorney for more info. – David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney (

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080