Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How do I help my friend proceed with a recent divorce that she was tricked into signing with no child support?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: April 22, 2023

Q: Hello. I am writing on behalf of my friend that does not speak English. She was married to her husband on June 18th, 2012. They have 3 kids together. The husband ran off with some other woman and forced her into signing a divorce agreement with threats. She signed on or about December 2022 in front of a notary that the husband apparently was familiar with. The agreement has no dates and the notary stamp has no dates either on her copy. She doesn’t understand anything in the agreement because it was written in English and she does not speak the language. To make matters worse, they lived together in Bronx NY and they moved to New Jersey which is where she currently lives now. The husband filed the papers in Bronx, NY on or about December 2022. My friend is struggling with the 3 kids and I don’t know how to help her. I filled out child support papers and alimony for her and sent it to NJ courts because she lives there, but the New Jersey Courts sent it back with no explanation. Can this be reversed and looked at again so that she can have a fair hearing? Which courts? Should I have a lawyer re-file in Bronx Courts since that’s where the husband filed?

A: She would need to file an “order to show cause” (which is a type of motion) to vacate the divorce settlement. That said, she needs to bring all the paperwork into an attorney for a full assessment. Thus, have her call a Bronx Divorce Attorney to schedule a consult.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080