Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

How Can I Collect Child Support Arrears If The Non-custodial Parent Lived In Another Country Before The USA?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: July 17, 2018

Q: My son father lived on a small island and over a year ago moved to the USA. Due to no reciprocal agreement between two country I did not proceed with the child support paperwork as my lawyer there advised me to proceed with this matter in New York. I then filed a petition for child support in New York of which a temporary order was given for him to pay child support and arrears up to the time I filed the petition in New York. But the judge did not mention arrears that I was seeking five years prior to me filing the petition when he was living on the small island.

A: You must register the foreign support order in NY for enforcement purposes. FCA 580-601 explicitly states that a “foreign support order may be registered in this state for enforcement.” The clerk’s office should be able to give you the proper form – or you can obtain it off the court’s website: Call a Westchester Family Law attorney for more info or to schedule a consultation.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080