Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Family court question? Child support overpaid during COVID for emancipated children? Can’t get my money back!

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: January 12, 2022

Q: I have a NYS (Westchester county) decision and memorandum from a court hearing stipulating that my x wife owes me $10K in overpayments while the courts were shut during COVID. How do I enforce it? When Alimony is paid from CT. and the Westchester Judge has no way to offset Alimony (CT) from what she owes me? She seems like her hands are tied? How do I untie them?

A: The Court (unfortunately) has no way to order her to actually refund the money – EXCEPT: (1) as an off-set against future add-on expenses (e.g., education, medical), or (2) the CT court MAY be able to off-set it against future alimony payments. For the latter, you’d need to bring an application in the CT court (assuming she still lives there). For more info, call a White Plains Child Support attorney.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080