Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Do I Need Any Attorney To Do A Step Parent Adoption In New York If I Am On The Birth Certificate?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: December 18, 2018

Q: My wife and I are a lesbian couple who had a child together with a donor who we know. We did not do the medical or legal aspect during conception, which later led to the donor taking us to court for paternity. Eventually he withdrew the case and signed the consent for me, the non biological mother, to adopt. The Paternity case caused us a lot of expense so I want to know if an attorney is needed to proceed with the adoption. We want to make sure he can not take us to court regarding our daughter again or interfere with my rights as her legal and custodial parent. Please advise. Thank you.

A: You’re nearly always better having an attorney represent you than not. Adoptions are relatively complex proceedings involving numerous documents & investigations. At the least you should schedule a consult with a Bronx Adoption attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080