Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can Someone Go To Jail For Failure To Pay Alimony To An Ex Who Got Millions In The Divorce And He Lost His Job?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: March 31, 2020

Q: My boyfriend who is 73 lost his job at a big law firm over 3 years ago when he was living in NYC? His ex wife in the divorce got millions, house, life insurance policy paid for, trust fund, SS. When he lost his job he filed for modification and they had a trial which the result came recently even though he lost his job and makes less and moved from NYC to Florida he said he should have still paid her. If he did he would be more bankrupt then he is. He is NOT working at a firm and has been working with clients doing tax law but the business is not what is was. She is livi g quite well yet the judge ordered him to not only pay back alimony at 12,500 per month for 3 years he is saying no reduction. He only brings in 13k a month! Judges in NY are always for women no matter what. He was ordered to come to NY today to bring 200k in cash and of Course he wrote to the judge saying he will not be there and he doesn’t have that kind of money. he has tried to make arrangements with his ex and her lawyer to pay what he can and they shot him down. There is a lot more to this but this is the short version. Can they come arrest him here in Florida?


A: The short answer is: potentially yes. Unfortunately, if he didn’t appeal, then he’s stuck with the trial court’s determination. Thus, he’d need to find a way to pay-off that debt, as if she wants to, she can use it to seize assets, etc. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Alimony Attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080