Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can I Get Back Money My Wife Sent To Her Family Without My Consent

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: November 23, 2015

Q: We both have been seeing a mediator attorney to draft a settlement agreement since Feb. In May, she moved about $65,000 via Electronic Fund Transfer, she admitted, to her family. I do not approve of this. She is also paying for future college costs (her college) in advance. She currently controls much more money than I do. Do I have a case to sue to get that back (or a credit for it in splitting the assets) if she refuses to agree to it in the agreement, understanding that it might mean going the Lawyer route instead of mediation?

A: David’s Answer: If she transferred those funds from a joint account and/or the funds were clearly marital funds, then yes, you should get a credit. That said, if it’s not in the agreement, don’t sign it – see an attorney first. Call a NYC Divorce attorney to schedule a consultation for a full assessment.- David Bliven, Bronx Divorce Attorney, (

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080