Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can I change my baby’s last name and get sole custody when child’s father is incarcerated?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: March 23, 2022

Q: My baby father literally does nothing for my month old son and disappears days on end , it’s like having a distant family member check in from time to time but he’s going to jail for a while , he’s been labeled a “menace to society” because of the dangerous stuff he does, so he’s not at all a good role model he even admits to putting this lifestyle before my son and I can’t deal with that.

A: You can certainly petition for sole custody even while he’s incarcerated. To change the baby’s last name & without his consent, you’d need to file a separate name change proceeding. For a full assessment, call a Westchester Child Custody attorney to schedule a consultation.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080