Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can child support stop accumulating and the balance be paid off?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: November 13, 2021

Q: My husband has an 18 year old daughter he is on child support for. His daughter claims to have a job working in real estate and they don’t have a relationship. She also resides in NYC and we have not lived in NYC for a few years now (currently in Florida). Is there any way to get the child support to stop and he pay off the balance ?

A: Assuming the support order you’re speaking of is a NYS order, then he’d need to file a modification petition & allege the child is emancipated. bear in mind he has the burden to prove it – and the child must be completely self-supporting. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080