Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Can A Lawyer Get Arrears Reduced Without Involving The Custodial Parent?

  • By: David Bliven
  • Published: December 23, 2021

Q: My child is 21 now and I’ve been having trouble paying my arrears. My financial situation has been dismal for many years. I’m in a position to start paying it off but the amount is incredibly high. Is it possible for an attorney to petition the court to bring the amount down without there being a court hearing.

A: The Court is prohibited from canceling arrears – except on consent or if you are able to prove your income was below the poverty line despite making a diligent effort to find work. The latter exception is very rarely applied. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080