Call (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080 Now To Schedule A 20-minute Case Assessment Or Full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!

Law Offices Of David Bliven
Law Offices Of David Bliven
  • White Plains Office 19 Court Street
    Suite 206
    White Plains, NY 10601
  • Bronx Office 3190 Riverdale Avenue
    Suite 1
    Bronx, NY 10463

Call I Have Child Support Arrears Reduced?

  • By: David Bliven, Esq.
  • Published: March 31, 2021

Q: I have child support arrears that were accumulated while I was unemployed, (Not collecting), under the poverty level and my only income was public assistance. The judge never reduced the weekly payment, even though I requested a modification several times, and I showed to her my daily job search, rather she kept the same amount I was charged when I was working.
I found a job and I was getting charged 65% from my paychecks biweekly. I’m unemployed again, after 3 years in my job, I’m on public assistance and I’m getting charged a lot of money in late fees and penalties.
There are no current charges, only the arrears, which are owed to my kids mother, not HRA.

A: When you become unemployed, you’d need to show 2 things in the petition (and proved at the hearing): (1) you lost your job thru no fault of your own, and (2) you made a diligent search to find work commensurate with prior earnings. “Diligent search” usually entails 30-40+ job efforts per week. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

David Bliven, Esq.

Serving primarily White Plains and the Bronx, we provide
guidance for a range of family law considerations
Call Us Now - (347) 797-1188 | (914) 362-3080