High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

hi. i have an 11 month old daughter. i would like to leave my husband because he’s verbally abusive. can i do that?

Q: i live in new york and i have been married for a year and a half. our daughter is 11 months old. i cant live with my husband any longer due to his anger problems towards me and her. he is very verbally abusive and he grabs my child way from me. am i allowed to take my daughter and leave to my parents house before he gets home, because i feel very unsafe for mine and her health and otherwise he will not let me leave.

A: If there are domestic violence issues, then you’re always free to leave. Let him know where you went, and then strongly consider filing for an order of protection and/or a divorce case. If he won’t “let you leave” then that speaks to the fact that you should – no one deserves to be to that type of controlling spouse. I highly recommend you schedule a consult with a Divorce Attorney in your area for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network