High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Why am I required to continue to pay child support?

Q: My 20 year old daughter resides with her friend and not with her mother and works to help support herself. Why should I continue to pay support when the mother does not provide any of the money provided to her by the state of New York the support of the child?

A: Unless the child is completely self-supporting, you are required to still pay child support until the child’s 21 years old. It would ultimately be your burden to prove the child is completely self-supporting in an effort to demonstrate the child’s emancipated. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network