High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can a child support arrears be added back on after you waived them?

Q: My child’s father did not pay support for over ten years when he finally started paying he was having issues with work and driving because of the arrears. I figured it would be best for me to waive them so he could work and I could get something. I wanted to know if I could have them put back on or is it to late.

A: It depends on how you did it. If you orally waived, or did so otherwise outside of court, then most likely it’s unenforceable. If you waived before a Judge/Magistrate & assuming the waiver was done properly & reduced to a court order, then most likely you cannot retract that now. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support Attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network