High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I have a child support hearing and I will not be in the country during this time, is it possible to adjourn for a future date?

Q: I picked my vacation from work a year ago and I have a trip I’m taking that’s out of the country (I leave on 10/19). I received an email saying that I have court on the 22nd of October. The child support case seems like my sons mother just wants to readjust what I have been giving her on a weekly basis, I have not ever missed support or been late.

It may be worth something to note that I wasn’t served in person or even by mail, I only received an email.

How difficult is it to get this adjourned for a future date?

Will the judge see this as an excusable reason to adjourn or will they basically screw me over with the flight?

It’s my only vacation time and I don’t want to have to wait another year over this.

A: Did you receive the e-mail from an attorney, the mother, or from Court? If you received it from an attorney, then ask to receive a copy of the petition (while noting you never received it previously), state your unavailability & request an adjournment of them. If they don’t get back to you or don’t consent, contact the Court with that request. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge