High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I file for child abandonment on my children’s father even if I have full custody of them?

Q: I have full custody of both of my children. Also have an order of protection of the father. He has not reached out or provided for them.

A: There is no such thing under New York law. Instead, his “abandonment” of the children would either be grounds to have them adopted by a step-parent, or a defense to any visitation action he files. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network